Tuesday, October 30, 2018

I don't know where I would be without softball. Really.



Marin Social Sports: Sons of Pitches vs. Pitch, Please

I was in the 7th grade, when I played my first co-ed softball game. Although, it was during a mandatory P.E. class, I completely fell in love with the sport. Unfortunately, I wasn't dedicated enough to pursue it as a recreational sport. Fast forward to high school, my sport of choice was badminton. Heck, I even lettered in badminton. Yes - I was a Varsity member of the team all four years in high school. I need to locate a yearbook and find my team photos. One day. 😂

Four years ago, my husband Donald joined his company co-ed softball team. I wanted to be supportive, so I took on the role of Team Mom. I brought snacks and beverages for 20 somethings and 30 somethings in San Francisco. I decided to do a throw back to our childhood, so I would always bring the 90s childhood standard: CapriSuns. One day, I had to trade in my Team Mom hat to become a team player because they were short a female on the team. TLDR: No female player = team forfeit. Thus, this was the start of my unofficial adult co-ed rec league slow pitch softball career. 

County of Marin - Marin Health & Human Services Softball Team

Co-ed softball has helped me in many ways over the years, but mostly it has done two things for me:

1. Co-ed softball brought my husband Donald and I closer together. (Who knew we were so damn competitive?)

2. Reminded me that I can be athletic at any size AND still improve. (Unfortunately, I have gained weight over the last four years, however my catching and hitting has improved consistently)

Why are these lessons important?

Lesson #1 is important because...
What better test is there for a relationship then to be teammates AND co-managers of various softball teams? We are coaches, players, and cheerleaders for the many softball teams we play on. It has taught us both about the virtues of patience, understanding, but most of all support for each other no matter what...win or lose.

Lesson #2 is important because...
I might have gained weight over the last four years, but I don't want my size to slow me down to improve my skills for a sport I have become passionate about. My weight loss journey is just that: it's a journey. There will be ups and downs. What is the difference now? I am removing more people, places, and things that distract me so I can just focus on one thing: MY HEALTH.

I will keep moving forward in my health journey and at the same time I will kick butt and take names on the softball field.

Looking for a league to join? Are you in the San Francisco/Marin area?

Try:

Marin Social Sports
Play in the Bay Sport & Social Club

Do you have a sport you are passionate about? Why do you love it? Share in the comments below - I'd love to hear from you.

-FFF Diva Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails