Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My hellish alternative to traditional cardio: outdoor morning cardio boot camp!

I have always HATED traditional forms of gym cardio. From the stair climber to the treadmill or the rowing machine to the elliptical--it's been bad blood between me and the machines. Although I strive to accomplish at least one hour 5 times a week of traditional cardio, what really gets my blood pumped and calories burned is alternative forms of cardio. I am a gym member at both 24 Hour Fitness and Gold's Gym (maybe one day I will explain as to why this is).

At 24 Hour Fitness I like to take Zumba dance classes or Turbo Kick Boxing Classes. One of the other classes I take that is usually over looked is Aqua Moves. I know...usually the first reaction is: "What the old people class?" or "Water class for expectant mothers? WHY? Are you expecting?" My response: "UGH. NO FILIPINO FAMILY! 1) I am not pregnant, I am just fat. 2) The water cardio is better for my poor knees." My family's response: "Oh thank God, for a second there we thought we were going to have a heart attack because you were preggers. Thank god you are just fat!" (*Note: Soon I will devote a series of blog entries strictly on what it was like growing up a fat Filipino-American girl. I am sure it will help you understand my deep struggle and challenges to my commitment to health. Mind you not every Filipino family is mean. My family, not all of them, were just "highly critical.")

Lately I have been participating in an outdoor morning cardio boot camp called OPERATION BOOT CAMP. We meet Monday through Friday at Hellyer Park in San Jose. We have boot camp from 6:00-7:00am, however we meet at 5:45am so my trainer Ronny and his boot camp staff can review/edit/comment on our food and exercise logs. It's been really helpful to participate in boot camp because there is a sense of support and commeraderie in a group setting, especially when it comes to exercise.

My favorite boot camp memory:
I accpmplished an activity called "THE PYRAMID." The Pyramid consisted of 110 reps each of squats, push-ups, sit-ups, dips, leg-raisers, etc. with running in between. I remember I was so hot in my sweats that when I took off my hoodie hot steam was escaping from my body. UGH. It was totally intense like the circus.

I think the best part about boot camp other than the professional guidance from staff and support from other participants is the fact that we always meet no matter what RAIN or SHINE. Some days I am super stoked to meet while other days I wished I slept in. Totally FML status.

A couple of times each month we have free community days or "bring a friend" days at boot camp. If you live in the San Jose area and are interested in participating feel free to contact me or contact my trainer Ronny for more information.

Now it is time for me to head off into my MBA Statistics course until 10pm tonight in Marin. Which will be followed with a 1 1/2 hour drive back home to South San Jose where I shall sleep until I wake up at 5:30am for OPERATION BOOT CAMP. Ah the joys of working full-time, going to graduate school, and living at home. I am certainly "living the dream."

For information about gym training with Ronny Varghese:
http://paradigmfitnesstraining.com/

For information about Operation Boot Camp:
http://www.operationbootcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails