Thursday, May 26, 2011

WLB4: Marin County 1/2 Marathon Mania!

HAPPY MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY!!!!! What did you do this weekend to get your butt off the couch? Did you go swimming in the blue ocean water of the Pacific? Did you cycle 8 miles down your favorite woodsy trail? Did you take your dog on a stellar hike in the mountains? Please feel free to share!

----------------------------------------------

What did FFF Diva Mo do? She ran the Marin County 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles)!

Actually, I ran 14.3 miles. Why?! Because I accidentally missed the final turn and went around the long way. So even though I didn't get an official time with my running time chip, I STILL wore my Running Garmin GPS watch. So I ran 14.3 miles of mostly hills and trails in 3 hours and 40 minutes and 35 seconds! I beat the meat wagon! What is the meat wagon?! The meat wagon is the truck that sweeps people up if they are still on the course. The course officially closed at 3 hours and 45 minutes, but I beat the last sweeper, HOWEVER I definitely was THE LAST PERSON to finish the race. Did I care? Not really. Why?!

This was quote on a sign I saw on the course of the Marin County 1/2 Marathon:
"The toroise and the hare BOTH finished the race."

I didn't care if I came in last. All I cared about was beating the meat wagon, which I did! This was my 4th 1/2 marathon I have ever completed. It was tough because the majority of it was hills and natural running trails. The photos alone below can describe what I went through, haha.

What else was super awesome was that my college's Cross Country team was present and cheered me on. I was so moved that I actually wrote an email to their coach and team:

Hello Larry,

I just wanted to personally thank you, your family, and the Dominican Cross Country Team for volunteering and cheering on runners at the Marin County 1/2 Marathon, 10K, & 5K race this past Saturday! = )

When I literally ran into you and your family at Mile 7 and saw you all wearing your Dominican gear I was definitely proud and touched that Dominican was being represented at a fine event in the community. This is why, while drinking the water you provided me, I stopped and introduced myself. However, what was more moving was when I hit Mile 9 and saw/heard the Dominican Cross Country team cheering me on, because they knew I was a Dominican alum.

When I learned Dominican was adding a Cross Country Team I was genuinely excited. Why? Because I have found a new love in running. Running has saved my life.

During my four years at Dominican I gained 124 lbs, and graduated in 2007 at 320 lbs. Since then I have lost close to 100 lbs, thanks to good nutrition and exercise. I have been competitively running since May 2009 and in less than a year completed my first 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, and full marathon. Bottom line: All of you literally made my day when you cheered and motivated me to finish the last 4.1 miles of my race. I am truly grateful for your spirit and kindness and hope to see you and the entire team at other races, not just volunteering, but running and representing our great university.

If there is anything I can do to personally help and support the Dominican Cross Country team please let me know. You have a new fan and friend in me.

With great respect,

Maureen "Mo" De Nieva
DUC Class of 2007
DUC MBA Graduate Student, Class of 2011

----------------------------------

The Marin County 1/2 Marathon in Photos...


Getting ready before the race!


About 700-800 people participated in the 5K, 10K or 1/2 marathon


About 8 miles of the 1/2 marathon was NATURAL TRAIL


New Running Friends! I met them on the racer's shuttle! They did the 5K!


Marin County 1/2 Marathon Course Map

For more information about the Marin 5K, 10K, and 1/2 Marathon:
http://www.marinmarathon.com/

All of the race proceeds went to local charities:

To Donate to Fit for Equality:
http://www.active.com/donate/fitforequality

To Donate to Run to Cure Cystic Fibrosis:
http://www.active.com/donate/cffmarinmarathon

---------------------------

"It doesn't matter what your age is, if you put the time in, you're going to get out what you put into it. I strongly believe that. I feel that good things will happen if you work hard." -Sheri Piers, who set her marathon best of 2:37:04 at age 37

I will close out with this final reminder: It doesn't matter how long it takes to finish, all that matters in the end is that you did.

Dedicated to health,
FFF Diva Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails